Ube Cupcakes Recipe
Ube cupcakes are little ube cakes packed with big ube flavour. Soft, dense and just the right amount of sweet. Top with ube whipped cream frosting and sprinkle with toasted shredded coconut for the ultimate Filipino treat.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 12 cupcakes
For the Ube Cupcakes:
- 2 pcs large eggs room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil or vegetable oil
- 1 cup ube jam 1 heaping cup, see notes
- 3 tsp ube extract
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
For the Ube Whipped Cream Frosting:
- 1 tsp unflavoured gelatine
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 cup heavy cream chilled
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp ube extract
Preheat oven to 325F. Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk 2 large eggs, 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup canola oil until combined.
Add ube jam and whisk until you don’t see any ube jam chunks remaining.
Add 3 tsp ube extract and continue whisking until combined. Sift 1 cup cake flour, 1 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt into your ube mixture.
Gently stir just until combined. Do not over mix. If you no longer see massive streaks of flour, you’re OK.
Scoop batter into prepared liners, filling them a little over 1/2 full.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of a few of the cupcakes comes out with minimal dry crumbs and the tops spring back when lightly pressed.
Remove from pan and cool on a rack completely before frosting.
To make the ube whipped cream frosting, in a small bowl or measuring cup, sprinkle 1 tsp gelatine into 2 tbsp cold water and set aside to bloom (about 2 minutes). Do not stir.
In the meantime, using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, start whipping 1 cup heavy cream with 3 tbsp sugar and 1 tbsp ube extract on medium speed until you reach medium peaks.
Go back to your gelatine and microwave for 10 seconds to dissolve. Stir to combine and bring down to room temperature.
Add a dollop of your whipped cream into the gelatine to temper it. Then add the tempered gelatine to your whipped cream and continue whisking until you reach stiff peaks.
Frost and decorate cupcakes as desired.
- Not all ube jams are created equal. Some are sweeter, others are creamier, so make sure to taste before using (and you must like the jam you’re using!). To make it easier to incorporate into batter, I usually leave it out on the counter about 30 minutes before using it.
- The cupcakes are best served the day they are baked. If you need to make them ahead, keep the unfrosted cupcakes in an airtight container for up to 2 days and frost them the day you're serving them.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 106mg | Potassium: 67mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 292IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg