These policies are valid from 17 January 2016. Updated on 08 May 2018.
The reading of all information on theunlikelybaker.com is of your own free will (that is my hope, unless you’re my sister). If you don’t accept these terms and conditions, please stop now and look away.
I really hope you stick around though – I work hard to make this an excellent food blog.
Yes? Great! I must say one more thing before we move on: I reserve the right to change any of these terms and conditions at any given time (legal stuff, you know how it is).
I get inspiration for the recipes I use here online, from a cookbook or a loved one. I make it my own but I always give credit where it’s due and cite my original source. If I fail to acknowledge you, I apologize. It was an honest mistake. Please tell me and I will straighten that out immediately.
Found a recipe on here you want to try? Fantastic. I would love to hear about it. Tell me how it went in the comments section.
And if you decide to adapt that to your own blog that’s great. A link back to my original post is all I ask (and please re-write in your own words and take your own photos – it’s fun).
I am the legal copyright owner of all content (written, photos, video, graphic) in this blog though so if you want to use them as is, please reach out to me first at [email protected] or through the Contact Me form.
Being the owner of this blog, I also reserve the right to change the main topic of this blog from baking/food to frogs (just as an example), shut it down or sell it for millions of dollars.
As my blog’s name suggests, I am not a professional baker or pastry chef or have anything to do with the professional culinary world at all (I wish) so please remember that all information provided on theunlikelybaker.com is for general information and entertainment only.
Also, these are my opinions alone – not my employer’s or organizations I belong to (yeah, right. I don’t belong to any that I know of as I try to avoid large gatherings like the plague).
Anyway back to topic – I am not providing any kind of professional advice. You’re taking the information provided here at your own risk and under no circumstances will I be held liable for any loss or damage arising from the use of this website.
I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information found here including the information contained in websites I point you to (as in outbound links I feature).
You must know that I check and double-check so hopefully you never end up with a cake recipe that requires 1 cup of salt – if you see a potential typo, please tell me immediately…I may not be held legally liable but it doesn’t mean I won’t be mortified.
I’m in Ontario, Canada so this may or may not apply to me but to be on the safe side: I present to you my disclosure policy.
There are currently advertisers on my site and I am a member of affiliate or network advertising groups. However, rest assured I will remain truthful and unbiased in my writing. And I will only feature products or services that I truly believe in because I will never take your trust for granted.
- 03/29/2016: The Unlikely Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com.)
- 05/03/2016: The Unlikely Baker is a participant in the Food Blogger Pro and the Minimalist Baker affiliate programs where I receive a small commission on every sale generated from theunlikelybaker.com)
- 01/2018: I also sell (and highly recommend) The Food Photography Book on this site where I earn a commission for every book sold.
And related to disclaimers, I am not responsible for the actions of my advertisers and sponsors either. If you purchase a product or service from them through a link from my website (thanks very much, by the way), please take it up with them directly.
I’d love to hear from you. I encourage comments and feedback so we can learn from one another and get better. But let’s play nice, ok? Rude, mean and offensive comments will not be approved.
Any comments posted on this blog or any social media site related to this blog that I run (Facebook or Instagram, for example) become my property and may be used in this blog, emails or future books (one can dream).
I mean, if you compliment me I’ll be tickled pink and would want the world to know that someone (besides my Dad) thinks I’m wonderful. If you don’t want that, please let me know.
Or if you’re shy, you can opt to send me a private message instead. I get those too. Or if you’re really shy that’s OK too. No need to say anything. Just send me good vibes. I love the fact that you’re here.
Ok, this is serious stuff now:
WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT AND HOW IS IT USED?
- Information You Voluntarily Submit to the Website: We may collect personal information from you such as your name or email address. For example, you may voluntarily submit information to the Website by leaving a comment, subscribing to a newsletter, or submitting a contact form.
- Information We Collect from Others: We may receive information about you from other sources. For example, if you use a third-party software through the site, they may transfer information to us for fulfillment.
- Automatically-Collected Information: We automatically collect certain information about you and the device with which you access the Website. For example, when you use the Website, we will log your IP address, operating system type, browser type, referring website, pages you viewed, and the dates/times when you accessed the Website. We may also collect information about actions you take when using the Website, such as links clicked.
- Cookies: We may log information using cookies, which are small data files stored on your browser by the Website. We may use both session cookies, which expire when you close your browser, and persistent cookies, which stay on your browser until deleted, to provide you with a more personalized experience on the Website.
HOW YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE USED
We may use the information collected in the following ways:
- To operate and maintain the Website;
- To send you promotional information, such as newsletters. Each email promotion will provide information on how to opt-out of future mailings;
- To send you administrative communications, such as administrative emails, confirmation emails, technical notices, updates on policies, or security alerts;
- To respond to your comments or inquiries;
- To provide you with user support;
- To track and measure advertising on the Website;
- To protect, investigate, and deter against unauthorized or illegal activity.
THIRD-PARTY USE OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
We may share your information with third parties when you explicitly authorize us to share your information.
Additionally, the Website may use third-party service providers service various aspects of the Website. Each third-party service provider’s use of your personal information is dictated by their respective privacy policies. The Website currently uses the following third-party service providers:
At this time, your personal information is not shared with any other third-party applications. This list may be amended from time to time in the Website’s sole discretion.
Except when required by law, we will not sell, distribute, or reveal your email addresses or other personal information without your consent; however, we may disclose or transfer personal information collected through the Website to third parties who acquire all or a portion of our business, which may be the result of a merger, consolidation, or purchase of all or a portion of our assets, or in connection with any bankruptcy or reorganization proceeding brought by or against us.
From time to time, we may use anonymous data, which does not identify you alone, or when combined with data from other parties. This type of anonymous data may be provided to other parties for marketing, advertising, or other uses. Examples of this anonymous data may include analytics or information collected from cookies.
PUBLICLY VISIBLE INFORMATION
If you leave a comment on the website, certain information such as your name may be publicly visible. Your email address will always remain hidden.
Users may, at any time, prevent the setting of cookies, by the Website, by using a corresponding setting of your internet browser and may thus permanently deny the setting of cookies. Furthermore, already set cookies may be deleted at any time via an Internet browser or other software programs. This is possible in all popular Internet browsers. However, if users deactivate the setting of cookies in your Internet browser, not all functions of our Website may be entirely usable.
Sponsored Content Tracking Pixels
This Website may engage in sponsored campaigns with various influencer networks, brands, and agencies. All sponsored content is duly disclosed in accordance with the FTC’s requirements. From time to time, these sponsored campaigns utilize tracking pixels (aka web beacons), which may contain cookies to collect data regarding usage and audience. This information is collected by the sponsoring company to track the results of the campaign. No personally identifiable information collected by the Website is used in conjunction with these tracking pixels.
Affiliate Program Participation
The Website may engage in affiliate marketing, which is done by embedding tracking links into the Website. If you click on a link for an affiliate partnership, a cookie will be placed on your browser to track any sales for purposes of commissions.
The Unlikely Baker is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and links to Amazon.com. As part of this Amazon Associates program, the Website will post customized links, provided by Amazon, to track the referrals to their website. This program utilizes cookies to track visits for the purposes of assigning commission on these sales.
It is also a participant in the following affiliate programs, which work similarly to the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program in that they utilize cookies for purposes of tracking referrals to their website and assigning commission on sales:
- Food Blogger Pro
- Food Photography School (Minimalist Baker)
- The Food Photography Book by Recipe Tin Eats
On the Website, you may subscribe to our newsletter, which may be used for advertising purposes. All newsletters sent may contain tracking pixels. The pixel is embedded in emails and allows an analysis of the success of online marketing campaigns. Because of these tracking pixels, we may see if and when you open an email and which links within the email you click. Also, this allows the Website to adapt the content of future newsletters to the interests of the user. This behaviour will not be passed on to third parties.
RIGHTS RELATED TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Opt-out – You may opt-out of future email communications by following the unsubscribe links in our emails. You may also notify us at [email protected] to be removed from our mailing list.
Access – You may access the personal information we have about you by submitting a request to [email protected]
Amend – You may contact us at [email protected] to amend or update your personal information.
Forget – In certain situations, you may request that we erase or forget your personal data. To do so, please submit a request to [email protected]
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for record-keeping purposes or to complete transactions, or when required by law.
SENSITIVE PERSONAL INFORMATION
The Website does not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 16. If a parent or guardian believes that the Website has personally identifiable information of a child under the age of 16 in its database, please contact us immediately at [email protected] and we will use our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.