This sweet potato breakfast hash is delicious and filling. And with all the best things about breakfast – potatoes, sausages, bacon and eggs – in one pan, it’s a great way to start your day!
(Prefer a savoury breakfast to a sweet one? You’ll enjoy these cheddar waffles packed with jalapeno. Perfect with fried egg!)
Let me start with this disclosure: I did not make this sweet potato breakfast hash. Red did.
Those of you who know me and who’ve followed my blog know that I cannot cook (our stove hates me and hot oil scares me) so Red does all the cooking at home.
I will still take credit for the recipe though. I mean, I deserve it!
Have you ever followed around a grumpy cook, constantly asking “what are you doing now?” in the hopes of documenting a recipe?
And then proceeding to take pictures of the food while said cook who you’ve annoyed all morning sits there giving you the evil eye, waiting, hungry and grumpier than ever?
I think not. So say no more. I do what I must to bring you the best, the most delicious recipes. And delicious, this sweet potato breakfast hash is!
Great way to clean out your fridge
It’s also a great way to clean out your fridge. If you’ve ever looked in there and thought what the heck are you going to do with that lone sausage, few strips of bacon, half a bell pepper and other things leftover from your other recipes – make a hash!
You just need to have a piece of sweet potato as base, some eggs, and you have yourself a dish that the whole family will enjoy.
Sweet potato breakfast hash
You can use a normal potato; we personally just prefer a sweet potato – we find it so much more flavourful and it brings a delightful sweetness to this savoury dish.
You can experiment with the toppings too. No bacon? Add ham. No sausage? Add hotdog (why not? It’s your hash).
Then all you need to do is start cooking your ingredients in the stove and finish it in the oven. For how long depends on how you want your eggs.
Great start to the day
This sweet potato breakfast hash is so filling and delicious and takes no time at all (love sweet potatoes? Try this ground turkey sweet potato skillet!)
It’s also a great alternative to pancakes and other sweet breakfast options…though it goes great with pancakes too if you’re thinking of doing an epic breakfast spread.
So tonight, have a look in your fridge. You may just have a delicious breakfast hash in your future tomorrow!
Happy cooking and baking!
Did you make sweet potato breakfast hash? How did it go? Tell me about it in the comments section below. I’d love to hear all about it.
Sweet Potato Breakfast Hash with Sausage, Bacon and Eggs
- 6 pieces breakfast sausage sliced
- 5 strips bacon sliced
- 2 pieces shallots sliced
- 5 pieces garlic cloves minced
- 1 pieces regular sized sweet potato peeled and diced
- ¼ cup bell pepper chopped
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 large eggs
- Chopped cilantro and green onion optional
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a medium sized oven-safe skillet, cook sausages and bacon on medium heat until brown. Remove from pan.
- Using the same pan, sauté shallots and garlic until translucent.
- Add sweet potato and cook for 5 minutes. Toss back the sausages and bacon, add the bell pepper, and stir.
- Add garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and make 4 wells. Gently drop an egg in each well.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the eggs are cooked to your liking (15 minutes = hard boiled egg). Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and green onion before serving.
Nutritional information are estimates only.