Pistachio chocolate chip ice cream is the ultimate sweet and salty, creamy and chocolatey summer treat. You don’t even need an ice cream machine to make it at home.
We love no-churn ice cream (or ice cream made without an ice cream machine) around here, don’t we? Have you tried the recipe for no-churn bourbon peach ice cream yet? Homemade ube ice cream is my favourite but lemme tell you, this pistachio chocolate chip ice cream is a close second.
Creamy, bursting with pistachio flavour from real pistachio paste and chopped pistachio nuts, and chips, lots of dark chocolate chips. Let’s get to it.
How to make pistachio paste
When I saw that a small jar of pistachio paste at my local baking supply store would cost me an arm (my baking arm lol) and a leg, I figure I’d make it myself and save me some money. I mean, how hard can it be?
Honestly, it was not hard but it was tedious.
First, you need to blanch the shelled pistachios (buy shelled otherwise you would have to shell the nuts yourself!). Boil water, carefully pour the pistachios then take them out after about 1-2 minutes.
Transfer them into a bowl of water filled with ice cubes. After another 1-2 minutes, strain and proceed to remove the brown outer skin.
This last part was what took me forever. The skin doesn’t come off that easily and instead of the vibrant green I was looking for, I ended up with brown pistachio paste which was what I wanted to avoid in the first place.
Pure pistachio paste
In the end it didn’t matter though. After a few minutes in the food processor, my pistachio paste may have been more brown than green but it was delicious and pure pistachio goodness.
Would I do it again? Absolutely. Maybe I won’t bother with removing the skin. We’ll see…I love food experiments!
How to make ice cream without an ice cream machine
Now how about all this no-churn nonsense? Seriously, if you haven’t tried making your own ice cream yet now is the time (what is up with the ridiculously hot weather we’ve been having, eh?). Don’t let not owning an ice cream machine stop you.
I go into a lot more detail here about how to make no-churn ice cream. And if you want to see it in action, see this video of how I made this scrumptious roasted cherry choco chip ice cream.
How to make pistachio chocolate chip ice cream
I folded the mixture back into the whipped cream. Added my mix-ins. Froze my ice cream. Enjoyed my yummy ice cream the next day!
I hope you try making this recipe, or any other kind of homemade ice cream you like using all your favourite ingredients. It’s fun to make and funner to eat. Hope you’re having a fabulous summer!
Other recipes you might like
Pistachio Chocolate Chip Ice Cream
- 1 10-oz can condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3.5 oz pistachio paste see note 1
- 2 cups heavy cream whipped med/stiff
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup shelled pistachios roughly chopped, see note 2
- Using a handheld mixer or a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, combine condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract and 3.5 oz pistachio paste until smooth and incorporated.
- Take a dollop of whipped cream and fold it into your pistachio mixture to lighten it.
- Fold the lightened pistachio mixture into the whipped cream. Stir chocolate chips and chopped pistachios, reserving a couple of tablespoons to sprinkle on top.
- Transfer to freezer-safe container and sprinkle the mix-ins you set aside on top. Smoothen with a spatula, cover with plastic wrap and freeze 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
- Depending on the kind of pistachio paste you use, you may need to add more. Taste and adjust according to preference.
- I used salted pistachios for this recipe.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Happy ice cream making!
Did you make pistachio chocolate chip ice cream? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.
Or subscribe so you don’t miss a recipe. I promise I don’t spam (I hate spam too).
Do you want to improve your food photography, monetize your blog or start your very own food blog? Check out my Blogging Resources.