Homemade matcha ice cream is easy to make and tastes so much better than the ones you order at restaurants or buy at the store. Packed with your favourite green tea flavour with delicious hints of vanilla, this ice cream is a matcha-lover’s dream.
Ice cream is one of the first cross-overs from teas. We’ve been ordering green tea ice cream as dessert in Japanese restaurants for years. It’s a wonderful end to a savoury meal with its fresh, palate-cleansing taste.
It’s difficult to find matcha ice cream in the stores though and if you do find one, it’s either expensive or lacking in matcha flavour.
This matcha ice cream recipe is anything but. It’s full of that rich matcha flavour you love and so easy to make (you don’t need an ice cream machine). Let’s get to it!
What is matcha ice cream made of
You’ll be surprised that homemade green tea ice cream just consists of 5 ingredients:
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Heavy cream (at least 36% milk fat)
- Vanilla extract
- Matcha powder
It goes without saying that the matcha green tea powder makes or breaks this recipe.
Always purchase high-grade matcha powder, sometimes called ceremonial grade or culinary grade. Not just for making desserts but for a better tea drinking experience too.
Here’s a great guide to help you choose.
And if you’re wondering, this is the matcha powder brand we use.
How to make matcha ice cream
Now that we have all the ingredients, we can make our matcha green tea ice cream! All you need are bowls and an electric mixer.
1. WHIP. First you’ll want to whip your heavy cream to stiff peaks. Set it aside.
2. DISSOLVE. Then in a large bowl, combine condensed milk, matcha powder, vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Stir until smooth and the matcha powder is fully dissolved. You shouldn’t see specks of matcha powder in the mixture.
2. LIGHTEN. Add a dollop of whipped cream to your matcha mixture to lighten it.
3. COMBINE. Fold the lightened matcha mixture into the whipped cream until incorporated.
4. CHILL. Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container, smoothen the top with a spatula, cover with plastic wrap and freeze 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
Tips for making the best green tea ice cream
Super easy, isn’t it? Here are a few tips to make this green tea ice cream recipe even easier.
- Use full fat heavy cream. Heavy cream is the base of most no-churn homemade ice cream recipes and you want one that’s full fat (36 to 40%) because it will whip better. It also results to a smoother, creamier texture.
- Chill your bowl. Before whipping your cream, chill the bowl and the whisk you plan to use for about 15 minutes. This will make it quicker and easier for you to get to stiff peaks.
- Cover with plastic wrap. Don’t skip this step! Placing plastic wrap on top of your ice cream prevents ice crystals from forming. And even if they do form, they do so on the plastic and away from your ice cream. You can throw the plastic away once your ice cream is done with its initial chill time.
- Adjust green tea powder to taste. When making this ice cream, adjust the amount of matcha powder to taste. It would depend on the brand of matcha powder you’re using and how strong you want the flavour to be. I usually go with almost 2 tablespoons. Just keep in mind that condensed milk is plenty sweet and you want that matcha flavour to shine through.
- Use high-quality matcha powder. And like I said earlier, spring for the best matcha powder your budget allows.
Easy homemade ice cream recipes you can make without a machine
Love making ice cream at home? Check out these no-churn (no ice cream machine) ice cream recipes that are way better than their store-bought counterparts.
- Pistachio chocolate chip ice cream is the ultimate sweet and salty, creamy and chocolatey summer treat.
- Blackberry lavender ice cream — wonderfully floral, subtly purple, absolutely refreshing. It’s a summer treat you’d want to have all year long.
- Few things are more refreshing than a scoop (or two) of homemade lemon ice cream in the summer. Sweet, tangy, smooth, creamy, perfect for the season’s warm sunny days.
- Full of cherries and chocolate chips, you will definitely scream for this delicious roasted cherry choco chip ice cream!
Whatever ice cream you decide to make, be sure to make it your own! That’s the beauty of homemade ice cream, you can add your favourite mix-ins to make it the best ice cream ever.
Enjoy it throughout the summer and all year-round.
Matcha Ice Cream
- Using a handheld electric mixer or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, whip 1 cup heavy cream until stiff. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 5 oz condensed milk, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, matcha powder and a pinch of salt. Stir until smooth and the matcha powder is fully dissolved. You shouldn’t see specks of matcha powder in the mixture.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream to your matcha mixture to lighten it.
- Fold the lightened matcha mixture into the whipped cream until incorporated.
- Transfer the ice cream to a freezer-safe container, smoothen the top with a spatula, cover with plastic wrap and freeze 6-8 hours, preferably overnight.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Happy ice cream making!
Did you make matcha ice cream? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.