Here’s a chocolate strawberry ice cream recipe that you can make at home without an ice cream maker. With just 5 ingredients and using fresh strawberries, it’s so easy to make, refreshing and so good.
I love making homemade ice cream. I don’t have an ice cream maker but I make ice cream all the time.
No-churn ice cream recipes are the best. All you need is a mixer and you’re in business.
So far I’ve made:
- Homemade ube ice cream
- Lemon curd ice cream
- Blackberry lavender ice cream
- Roasted cherry choco chip ice cream
- Matcha ice cream
- Pistachio chocolate chip ice cream
- Bourbon peach ice cream
(Can you guess who loves ice cream? LOL!)
This chocolate strawberry ice cream is the newest addition to my ice cream
addiction collection and I couldn’t be happier.
It’s smooth, creamy and packed with strawberry flavour. The chocolate chips not only add a nice chocolatey flavour (similar to a Neapolitan ice cream) but also a nice crunch.
This is going to be the ice cream of my summer for sure.
Ingredients for homemade chocolate strawberry ice cream
You only need 5 ingredients to make this strawberry ice cream recipe:
- Fresh strawberries
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Vanilla extract
- Heavy cream, whipped to stiff peaks
- Semi-sweet chocolate chips (you can also use chocolate chunks to make this an epic strawberry ice cream with chocolate chunks)
Tools you need to make chocolate and strawberry ice cream
Chocolate strawberry ice cream is super easy to make, all you need:
- An electric mixer (I use a stand mixer but a handheld electric mixer will work just fine)
- Oven-safe baking dish
- Mixing bowls and spoons
- Freezer-safe container (I use the ones above)
Because it’s no-churn, this recipe doesn’t include eggs or egg yolks making it that much more simpler.
How to make strawberry chocolate ice cream
For the detailed recipe, please scroll to the bottom of the page where you will find a printer-friendly recipe card and nutrition information.
1 ROAST STRAWBERRIES. Place strawberries in a baking dish lined with aluminum foil. Roast until soft and juicy.
2 PUREE ROASTED STRAWBERRIES. Take the baking dish out of the oven and allow the strawberries to cool. Puree the roasted strawberries using an immersion blender or food processor.
3 COMBINE ICE CREAM BASE. In a large bowl, combine condensed milk, vanilla extract and strawberry puree. Stir until combined.
4 LIGHTEN MIXTURE. Take a dollop of whipped cream and fold into the strawberry mixture to lighten it.
5 FOLD WHIPPED CREAM. Proceed to add the rest of the whipped cream, folding gently so as not to deflate it.
6 CHOCOLATE CHIPS. Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
7 TRANSFER. Transfer strawberry ice cream with chocolate chips to a freezer-safe container. Smoothen the top and place plastic wrap directly on surface before covering with lid.
7 FREEZE. Freeze chocolate and strawberry ice cream overnight.
Strawberry chocolate chip ice cream FAQs and tips
Making strawberry chocolate chip ice cream is so easy. Here are answers to common questions to make this recipe even easier.
What’s the best way to wash fresh strawberries?
There are plenty of ways to wash strawberries but my favourite one is placing them in a bowl filled with 3 parts water and 1 part white vinegar. Make sure they’re all submerged.
I leave them there for about 15 minutes then rinse with cold water a few times until I get the dirt and grime out. I then lay them flat on a piece of paper towel and allow to dry.
Don’t worry, the berries won’t take on a vinegary flavour. And I find that using vinegar helps keep the strawberries fresher longer, if I don’t plan on using or eating them immediately.
Can I use whipping cream or half and half to make ice cream?
Homemade, no-churn ice cream has two main ingredients: condensed milk and whipped cream.
You want heavy cream, which has 36 to 40 percent milk fat, because it results to firmer, more stable whipped cream with stiff peaks that hold their shape longer. This is what gives your homemade ice cream that smooth texture and creamy taste.
In a pinch, you can use whipping cream (30 to 36 percent milk fat) but it will result to a lighter, softer texture.
Half & half cannot be substituted for heavy cream in no-churn ice cream recipes because it just doesn’t have enough fat content for whipping (10 to 18 percent).
How can I prevent homemade ice cream from getting freezer burn?
To prevent your ice cream from getting freezer burn or forming ice crystals:
- Place a piece of plastic wrap (wax paper and parchment paper can work too) directly on the ice cream’s surface before placing the lid. This also helps prevent freezer smells from seeping into your ice cream.
- Make sure you use a freezer-safe container with a proper, tight-fitting lid.
It’s still safe to eat ice cream with a few ice crystals. It’s going to affect the texture and the taste though so you really want to protect it from air (its main enemy) and eat it within 2 weeks of making it.
How long does homemade ice cream last?
Homemade ice cream lasts about 2 weeks in the freezer. Because it doesn’t have the same preservatives as store-bought ice cream, when it comes to homemade ice cream, the fresher the better.
Some tips to keep it fresh for longer:
- Cover the top with plastic wrap (see above)
- Store in a relatively shallow and flat container vs. a deep tub
- Store towards the back of your freezer so that its temperature can remain fairly constant
Once I learned how to make ice cream at home, I just kept making them. We very rarely buy ice cream at the store anymore.
Hope you try and enjoy this strawberry ice cream recipe. It’s a delicious way to use fresh strawberries in the spring and the perfect way to stay cool in the summer.
Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream Recipe (No Ice Cream Maker)
- 4 cups hulled and quartered fresh strawberries
- 1 10-oz can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream whipped to stiff peaks
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Place 4 cups strawberries in a baking dish lined with aluminum foil. Roast at 400F for 30-40 minutes or until soft and juicy. Stir every 15 minutes.
- Take the baking dish out of the oven and allow the strawberries to cool. Once ready, puree the roasted strawberries using an immersion blender or food processor.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 can condensed milk, 1 tsp vanilla extract and strawberry puree. Stir until combined.
- Take a dollop of whipped cream and fold into the strawberry mixture to lighten it.
- Proceed to add the rest of the whipped cream, folding gently so as not to deflate it.
- Stir in chocolate chips until evenly distributed.
- Transfer strawberry ice cream with chocolate chips to a freezer-safe container. Smoothen the top and place plastic wrap directly on surface before covering with lid.
- Freeze chocolate and strawberry ice cream overnight.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Happy ice cream making!
Did you make chocolate strawberry ice cream? What’s your favourite ice cream flavour? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.