Creamy chicken sopas is chicken noodle soup, Filipino-style! Packed with vegetables, chicken and macaroni, it fills you up and keeps you warm on a cold winter day.
It’s sunny at the moment; it actually looks like a nice warm day. But it’s not. It’s currently -12C/10F and my trusty weather app says it’s going to start snowing in 72 minutes (how are they predicting that?!).
Winter is in full swing and I’ve accepted that (finally). My winter boots are always at the ready and my space heater and I have developed a very co-dependent relationship – it goes where I go lol.
So today I have some very special chicken noodle soup for you. It’s not just any soup, it’s Filipino style chicken sopas. It’s hot and humid in the Philippines (ahhh humidex) but we love our chicken sopas. Creamy, filling and made with simple ingredients, it’s comfort food at its best.
Make your own chicken sopas
When Red and I are recreating dishes from home, we always argue about ingredients and the right way to cook it. Different families have different versions and that’s true for our families too.
For example, I remember my mom’s chicken sopas having corn kernels in it. Red thinks it’s weird. They put hotdogs instead. Which I think is just bizarre.
So this is our very own version – not exactly the same as the ones our moms make but just as delicious. You can add your favourite ingredients too and make it your own.
The tale of the giant macaroni
The one thing we can agree on is how the macaroni somehow always manages to suck up almost all the liquid in sopas. No matter how much broth you put in, in a matter of hours, your sopas would end up looking like mushy macaroni salad with massive pieces of macaroni.
Fear not though – once you heat it up the macaroni releases some of that liquid and you get nice, lovely soup again.
Perfect for winter or any season
So if it’s winter where you are, why not shake things up and try chicken sopas? It’s great for lunch or dinner, for when you’re nursing a cold, or simply when you’re craving something warm to drive those winter blues away.
Not winter? Hope you try it anyway. It’s delicious!
Creamy Chicken Sopas
- 1.4 lbs boneless chicken breast
- 1 pc sweet onion diced
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups elbow macaroni
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 2 pcs carrots diced
- 1 pc bell pepper seeded and diced
- 1/2 pc cabbage shredded
- 1 12 oz can evaporated milk
- boiled egg to serve
- sliced green onions to serve
- Using a large pot on medium high heat, add chicken breast in about 4 cups of boiling water. Season with salt. Cook for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Remove the chicken from heat and allow to cool before shredding (we use 2 forks) and set aside. Keep the chicken stock for use later.
- In another large pot on medium high heat, sauté 1 onion and 6 cloves of garlic in oil until soft (about 2 minutes). Add your shredded chicken, stir, and cook for another 3 minutes or so (you want the chicken to brown a little).
- Add 2 tsp salt, 2 tsp dried oregano and 1/2 tsp black pepper. Continue cooking for another 2 minutes.
- Pour 6 cups of chicken broth and 2 cups of chicken stock. Bring to a boil (about 10 minutes).
- Then add the rest of the ingredients (except the cabbage and the milk). Stir to combine and bring to a boil again until the macaroni is close to al dente (about 8 minutes).
- Stir in the cabbage and the milk. Bring down to a simmer until cabbage is cooked (10-12 minutes). Serve immediately. Top with boiled egg and green onions (optional).
Did you make creamy chicken sopas? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.
Here are other recipes to brighten up those gloomy winter days:
Or subscribe so you don’t miss a recipe. I promise I don’t spam (I hate spam too).
Do you want to improve your food photography, monetize your blog or start your very own food blog? Check out my Blogging Resources.