Eggless key lime pie with a crunchy cookie crust and melt-in-your-mouth filling. The best and the only key lime pie recipe you’ll ever need.
(Love recreating your favourite desserts without eggs? Check out this egg-free tiramisu recipe. So good!)
This eggless key lime pie is so easy to make you don’t even need an electric mixer. Don’t let the simplicity of it fool you though – the end product might just be the best key lime pie you’ll ever taste.
The graham cookie crust is sweet and succulent, the melt-in-your-mouth filling is the perfect combination of sweet and tangy, and topped with homemade whipped cream and lime zest – it is outstanding.
Key lime pie without eggs
A lot of the key lime pie recipes out there involve raw eggs and no baking, which I am wary of. I’ve wanted to make this for a long time but the raw egg situation was stopping me.
Until I stumbled upon a recipe that have no eggs in it therefore addressing my (not entirely irrational) fear of raw eggs. Plus, it’s baked and sets perfectly.
Now everyone can enjoy this creamy, dreamy key lime pie.
How to make eggless key lime pie
Key lime pie ingredients
It’s so easy to make too! All you’ll need are:
- Graham cracker crumbs
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Sour cream
- Key lime juice
- Lime zest (optional)
- Whipped cream (optional but highly recommended!)
I know it’s challenging to juice key limes so I usually just use Nellie & Joe’s. It’s awesome and it allows me to make key lime pie any day of the year.
Baking key lime pie egg-free
Now we’re ready to bake! (Watch the video to see how easy it comes together.)
1. MAKE THE CRUST. First you’ll want to preheat your oven to 350F. Then in a medium bowl, combine graham cracker crumbs, sugar, salt and melted butter until the mixture resembles wet sand.
2. TRANSFER TO PIE DISH. Transfer the mixture to a pie dish and press firmly and evenly to the bottom and up the sides. I like to use my fingers to make sure the crust is packed tightly. Set aside.
3. MAKE FILLING. In a large bowl, combine condensed milk, sour cream and key lime juice. Stir until smooth and incorporated.
4. TRANSFER TO PIE DISH. I like to sift the filling into my pie dish through a mesh sieve to get rid of lumps and ensure the creamiest consistency but this is optional. You can simply transfer the filling and smoothen the top.
5. BAKE. Bake the pie for 10-20 minutes or until tiny bubbles appear on the surface of the pie (you would usually first see these on the sides). Your pie should have a slight jiggle in the centre but completely set everywhere else.
6. COOL AND CHILL. Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly and chill in the fridge for 4 hours (I usually do mine overnight) to allow it to set completely.
7. SERVE. Garnish with lime zest and whipped cream and enjoy!
This eggless key lime pie is summer on a plate
It’s -11C and it’s snowing as I type this so taking a bite of this key lime pie gives me hope that summer exists. And it’s a mere 4 months away.
Each bite is sweet and refreshing and – even though it’s made with condensed milk which you’d think would weigh the pie down – surprisingly light.
No key limes? No problem
Having a hard time finding key limes? Not a problem.
A great substitute is to mix 75% good old-fashioned lime juice and 25% lemon juice and you’re done.
Don’t let the lack of key limes stop you from making this amazing pie. (I’d suggest not calling it 75% Lime Juice 25% Lemon Juice Pie though – probably not as enticing a name.)
So go ahead! Impress your family and friends with this great looking pie that tastes as good as it looks.
Perfect for Easter, Mother’s Day, Memorial Day, Canada Day, 4th of July, Labour Day and all your summer shenanigans.
Other citrusy dessert recipes
Love baking with limes and lemons? Me too. Check these out.
- Meyer lemon bars with shortbread crust are perfectly sweet and tangy, a burst of sunny lemony flavour in every bite.
- Easy Meyer lemon pie with condensed milk – perfectly sweet and tangy, luxuriously smooth and silky.
- No bake lemon cheesecake – light, creamy, so easy to make. Lemon curd filling, scrumptious Oreo cookie crust, whipped cream topping.
- Creamy lime bars – perfectly sweet and tart with a coconut cookie base.
And if no-bake desserts are your jam, check out this delicious collection of the best no-bake lemon desserts. Perfect for summer!
Eggless Key Lime Pie Video Recipe
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Lime zest
- Whipped cream I used this recipe
Graham Cracker Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Mix 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs, 1/4 cup sugar and 5 tablespoons melted butter until evenly moist and crumbly, resembling wet sand.
- Transfer mixture into your pie dish and press firmly and evenly onto the bottom and sides. Set aside.
Key Lime Pie Filling:
- In a medium bowl, combine 2 cans of condensed milk, 1/2 cup sour cream and 3/4 cup key lime juice. Stir with a wooden spoon until smooth and incorporated.
- Optional: sift into pie dish to get rid of lumps. You can also just transfer to pie dish and smoothen the top.
- Bake for 10-20 minutes or until tiny bubbles appear on the surface of the pie (usually beginning at the sides). The middle of your pie should have a slight jiggle but set everywhere else.
- Remove from oven, allow to cool slightly then chill in the fridge for 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- Garnish with lime zest and whipped cream before serving.
- Watch the video for step-by-step instructions!
- Scroll up to the post for baking tips and the complete step-by-step photos.
- The number of servings would depend on how big your pie slices are.
- This pie bakes fairly quickly and is easy to over bake. Every oven is different so watch for those tiny bubbles.
- If you can’t find key lime juice, you can make your own. See post for more details.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Did you make eggless key lime pie? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.