The ultimate nachos: tacos ground beef, served with fresh pico de gallo and drizzled with chipotle cream. We haven’t even talked about the whole toppings shebang yet. Delicious.
(We use pico de gallo and chipotle cream for this Easy Huevos Rancheros Recipe with Crispy Chorizo & Chipotle Sour Cream too. Check it out, also very good! And if you’re craving chicken wings on game day, try this Asian-style baked chicken wings. Delicious!)
I’m not into sports. Growing up, I got good grades except in Phys Ed.
One time playing softball, the teacher had to come very (very) near me just so I can hit the dang ball, get out of line and give others a chance to bat.
Red is a big sports fan though. To be more specific, a huge Toronto Raptors fan and the team got into the second round of the play-offs for the first time in 15 years (I was told this was a big deal).
To celebrate, I’m sharing Red’s recipe for the ultimate nachos (which I assume we’ll be having for the rest of the play-off series). Game on!
The definitive game day snack
These nachos are perfect with ice cold beer while watching your favourite team. Or for I-don’t-know-anything-about-sports people like me, for everyday snacking, to serve when friends come over, whenever you’re hungry.
These are filled with all the good stuff including 3 kinds of cheese, jalapeño, chipotle and avocado. It’s seriously dee-licious.
Make some of this homemade tajín recipe for some heat!
Related: Grilled Shishito Peppers
How do you make the perfect nachos?
It’s all about the layering and what goes into your layers (watch the video to see how I layer our nachos).
First there’s the beef. Get your favourite taco seasoning, mix it in with the ground beef and beans, cook them together and you’re done.
You can use your favourite homemade seasoning mix too but taco seasoning is very convenient in a pinch (like: you’ve run out of cumin, it’s out of stock at the store and the game starts in 30 minutes. It happens).
Related: Sweet and Salty Filipino Style Spaghetti
How to make fresh pico de gallo
Ironically, Red won’t make any concessions about using ready-made salsa and insists on making her own pico de gallo because it tastes better and fresher (I don’t question it, she gets very cranky before game time).
It’s really very simple: just take tomatoes, jalapeños, cilantro, sweet onions. Squeeze some lime juice. Season with salt. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
But yes, you can use ready-made salsa (don’t tell) if you don’t want to be bothered with chopping.
Related: Cantaloupe Feta Cheese Salad with Fresh Basil
How to make chipotle cream
Chipotle in adobo sauce is one of Red’s favourite ingredients but is admittedly hard to come by (at least where we are).
So whenever we see it (usually in Latin American supermarkets), we buy a couple of cans (or more, I’m not counting) because you never know when you might need some chipotle awesomeness.
And this chipotle cream brings a unique smoky flavour to your nachos that makes it that much better. All you need to do is blend some chipotle and sour cream, transfer to a container (we like squeeze bottles because at $1 each they make everything look fancy!) and refrigerate.
How to make the ultimate nachos
Last thing to do is to put everything together. Get your favourite restaurant-style tortilla chips, your taco beef, lots of cheese, black olives and bake until the cheese melts.
Then top with your favourite things (and you can customize this however you want…isn’t that great?) like fresh jalapeño slices, homemade pico de gallo, drizzle with chipotle cream.
Voila – the ultimate nachos you can enjoy while watching your favourite basketball, football or hockey team or, in my case, reading my favourite sci-fi book of the moment. (What? Told you I’m not into sports lol!)
Can you make nachos ahead of time?
You can definitely prep the nachos ahead of time. Cook the beef, chop everything that needs to be chopped, layer.
It only needs a quick 5 minutes in the oven, another minute for you to add the toppings, and you’re done. I don’t recommend baking the nachos hours ahead of when you plan to eat or serve it though because it tends to get soggy the longer it sits.
Other things to serve on Game Day
Family and friends ask for these nachos all the time and I hope you and yours enjoy it too. Here are other crowd pleasers, a sure hit at every party:
- This aloha burger recipe is a juicy cheeseburger topped with grilled pineapple and crispy bacon. Add honey mustard sauce and what you have is an aloha burger recipe that’s almost as good as Jollibee’s!
- Another copycat recipe, these easy cheddar biscuits are exceptionally delicious, simple to make, and ready in less than 15 minutes. Just in time for the game!
- These salted caramel cream cheese brownies are all your favourite things in one decadent, luxurious bite. These will, literally, earn you all the brownie points you will ever need!
- Detroit-style pizza is always a crowd-pleaser.
- And everybody loves these fudgy walnut brownies – crusty and shiny on top, chewy in the centre, and bursting with chocolate chip and walnuts in every bite.
How to Make the Ultimate Nachos
For the Pico de Gallo:
- 3 cups seeded and diced plum tomatoes about 4 medium sized tomatoes
- ¼ cup diced jalapeño about 1 large jalapeño
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro about ½ bunch
- ½ cup diced sweet onion about half an onion
- Juice from 1 regular-sized lime
- Salt to taste
For the Chipotle Cream:
- 2 pcs chipotle chilis in adobo sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
For the Taco Beef:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup red kidney beans we used canned
- 1 1-oz package taco seasoning
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 2 cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese
- 1 13-oz bag tortilla chips
- 1 cup sliced black olives
- 1 regular sized green bell pepper diced
- 1 regular sized avocado diced
- 1 regular sized jalapeño sliced
- Preheat your oven to 350F. Prep a baking sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
For the Pico de Gallo:
- Mix all ingredients (except the salt) in a medium sized bowl. Add salt to taste.
- Cover and refrigerate while preparing the rest of the ingredients to allow the flavours to develop.
For the Chipotle Cream:
- Put the 2 chipotle chilis and the cup of sour cream in a blender and blend until well combined (you would still see specks of the chili but the mixture should be smooth). Set aside.
For the Taco Beef:
- Put the 1 pound ground beef in a skillet on medium heat until it turns brown (approximately 7-8 minutes).
- Add the cup of kidney beans and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the taco seasoning and follow the instructions on the package. Set aside.
- Mix all your cheese in a bowl.
- Assemble your nachos in layers (see video): 1 – half your tortilla chips 2 – half your cooked beef 3 – half your mixed cheese and 4 – half your black olives. Repeat using the other half of your ingredients.
- Bake for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with green peppers, avocados, and fresh Pico de Gallo. Top with jalapeño slices and drizzle with chipotle cream.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Did you make these ultimate nachos? Tell me about it in the comments section below. I’d love to hear all about it. What’s your favourite game day snack?
Me and my boyfriend had friends over for the super bowl and this was a hit!! So good with beer 🙂 Thanks for the recipe definitely a keeper!!
These nachos ARE great with beer aren’t they? 🙂 Sometimes we like making them super spicy! Thanks Mari! Hope your team won.
Honestly I could eat that whole platter. You don’t have to be hungry to enjoy a delicious nacho snack. This is the epitome of munchy food. I love all the veggies you have on the platter plus the dressing.
We love nachos in our home but I don’t make them as often. This really makes me wanna make some for this weekend. Looks so scrumptious. And so easy too.
It’s only 8am and you have me craving nachos! I can’t wait to give that chipotle cream a try. Love your videos too!
We love Mexican food….especially nachos. The ultimate food for movie night. Perfect for entertaining. You can never go wrong with nachos any night of the week.
These look fabulous! Maybe it’s cause I skipped breakfast, but I want to jump into my computer screen 🙂
Your nachos were awesome. Thank you for the recipe!
Just made some nachos for lunch so this brought the feels for me. Great recipe!
Thans Jennifer! Nachos are great anytime of the day (even breakfast!)
My husband and son are huge sports fans too. These nachos are the perfect snack for when they are holed up in the living room every weekend watching football.
Absolutely! These are our default sports snacks too (and when people decide to suddenly come over lol). Easy and quick to put together. Hope you and your family like them!
Now I am completely starving and its not even lunch yet
Haha I’m always like that when I spend too much time on Pinterest 🙂 This is so easy to put together Janella! You’ll have awesome nachos in no time.
Nachos are totally my vice!! Love all the flavor you packed into yours. Just might have to make these soon!
Oh my gosh, I love making nachos but my style is boring compared to this ultimate snack, I shall be converting…asap!
I’m sure your nachos are awesome too 🙂 try this one…would love to hear what you think! Thanks Nina!
ummmm. These look absolutely positively amazing! I love nachos and since being in Norway have missed good nachos! I will definitely have to try to make these.
Homemade nachos are the best! Thanks Carrie! Hope you like these.
Made this for a party and they were a hit! Now the hubby is craving nachos all the time =)
I am about where you are in the cooking dept–and definitely use pre-made ingredients where possible. I also would be reading while eating these delicious tasting nachos!! Sports–not for me.