Imagine a meringue that’s crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside, slathered with luscious lemon curd and light whipped cream, then sprinkled with toasted almond and coconut. This lemon pavlova is a bright ray of sunshine on a dreary winter day.
It’s no secret that I love Christmas. It’s my favourite time of the year (well, apart from my birthday lol). And this year Christmas came extra early. First, Meyer lemons – one of my favourite things! – started appearing on shelves at our store so I proceeded to hoard them (hey, they’re only available for a limited time) and immediately got so overwhelmed with lemon baking thoughts.
Second, I received a lovely gift in the mail – a dark sandalwood and slate Frankie 35 wood watch from JORD Wood Watches. I’ve never had a wood watch before and this timepiece is exceptional. Looks like I found yet another reason to love the season!
JORD Wood Watches
Do you have that one person on your list that’s just impossible to buy a present for? The unique wood watches from JORD is the answer.
Their men’s and women’s collections are filled with stunning pieces that are impeccably designed (the company is run by artists, designers, marketers and minders after all!), made of sapphire crystal glass (second only to diamond as the hardest and most scratch resistant material on earth) and different wood from around the world. Each watch is also customizable for a truly personalized piece.
JORD and The Unlikely Baker holiday giveaway
The best part? You can own one too! JORD is giving away $25 off your purchase. Just visit this link and the e-card is yours. Hurry because the offer ends on December 21 (11:59PM)!
This really is a wonderful present. The timing (well aren’t I clever) is perfect too – with Christmas so near my new JORD watch and I would enjoy so many holiday parties together.
In fact I already showed off my new watch wore my new watch at a party we hosted. People were gushing (and I was so proud!). They were gushing about this lemon pavlova that we served too.
Lemon PavlovaMeringue with lemon curd, whipped cream, toasted almond and coconut. You’re welcome.Click To Tweet
The meringue was perfectly crunchy outside but sticky and chewy inside. The homemade lemon curd was sweet and tart. The homemade whipped cream added freshness to the bite. While the toasted almonds and coconut provided texture. It was a fantastic treat.
Tips for making the perfect meringue
I know a lot of people are wary of making meringue and working with egg whites so here are some things I’ve learned along the way that I hope will help:
- Make sure your egg whites are room temperature. They whip better and you’d get better volume. It’s easier to separate egg whites from the yolks when the eggs are cold though so what I do is separate the whites from the yolks while the eggs are cold straight out of the fridge then bring the whites to room temperature in a separate bowl (usually 15-20 minutes, or however long it takes for me to prep everything else).
- Speaking of yolks, make sure none of it get to your egg whites. It will spell disaster.
- Also make sure your bowl and whisk are dry and grease free. Don’t use a plastic bowl because oil tends to stick to them; stainless steel or glass bowls are the best.
- When adding sugar, do so gradually (I usually do about a tablespoon at a time). Don’t dump a cup of sugar all at once – your meringue might not come together or if it does, it will take longer.
- This is optional for some people but I always use cream of tartar or white vinegar to stabilize my meringue. It does not affect the taste – it just makes the meringue firmer and less likely to fall apart.
Assembling your lemon pavlova
Now that’s out of the way, it’s time to assemble!
I’m a heavy froster so it follows that I’m also a heavy pavlova-assembler (what can I say, I get carried away). So my first pavlova was way too sweet. So the lesson here is: taste your components first. See how much of each would lead to that perfect bite then start piling them on!
Make a lemon pavlova this holiday season. It’s a bright, light holiday dessert. (And remember to enter our JORD giveaway.) Happy holidays!
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by JORD Wood Watches but all photos, words and opinions are mine. Thank you for supporting the brands that support me!
Did you make lemon pavlova? What are your favourite lemon desserts? Tell me about it in the comments section below. I’d love to hear all about it.
Wondering about what to do with extra egg yolks? I got you covered:
Or subscribe so you don’t miss a recipe. I promise I don’t spam (I hate spam too).
Do you want to improve your food photography, monetize your blog or start your very own food blog? Check out my Blogging Resources.