Reward yourself with breakfast that tastes like dessert! Slightly boozy too. What more can we ask for? Chocolate kahlua bread pudding is bursting with chocolate flavour and a truly special morning treat.
Welcome to September everyone! Or as we Filipinos like to call it, the start of Christmas season lol.
Up here though, the end of the Labour Day weekend signals the unofficial end of summer as kids go back to school and sweaters start to make their appearance.
Seriously, it was so chilly last week it actually already felt like fall.
While I am hoping for an Indian summer (of course I am), I have to admit I do love fall flavours. Cozy, comfy food that feels like a warm hug on a crisp fall day.
Let’s start with this delightful chocolate kahlua bread pudding. It has chocolate, cardamom, cinnamon and pecans. Plus a little booze for kicks. What’s not to love?
Kind of bread to use
In my other favourite bread pudding recipe (surprise, surprise, it’s lemon and has booze in it too: Croissant Bread Pudding with Lemon Butter and Blueberries), I used butter croissant as base.
In this chocolate bread pudding though, I used the sturdier and crustier ciabatta because that was what we had leftovers of.
Bread pudding is a great way to use up days old bread! So feel free to use whatever you have on hand. Some breads are fluffier than others and that may affect the texture of your pudding but it will taste just as delicious.
I mean, it’s hard to go wrong with chocolate, right?! And in this recipe you get double the chocolate fun – it has cocoa in the custard and chocolate chips mixed in with the bread.
Plus, it has coffee liqueur! Which makes it an adult breakfast. We deserve it once in a while, yes? While the kids have their chocolate pancakes?
Chocolate kahlua bread pudding
This chocolate kahlua bread pudding is what lazy weekend mornings are made of.
Go for it and top it with whipped cream, chocolate syrup, more chocolate chips and pecans.
What you’ll have is breakfast that’s rich, decadent and tastes just like dessert.
It keeps incredibly well too. So make it this weekend and keep leftovers covered in the fridge.
Next morning, just grab a slice, microwave, enjoy and be on your way!
Chocolate Kahlua Bread Pudding with Pecans and Chocolate Chips
- 5 cups ciabatta bread cubed, day old or stale
- ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ½ cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder I use Dutch-processed
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of salt
- 5 pieces large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ½ cup kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Put 5 cups cubed ciabatta bread in a deep 8×11 inch baking dish.
- Sprinkle with ½ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips and ½ cup chopped pecans. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup brown sugar, ¼ cup cocoa powder, 1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, ½ teaspoon ground cardamom and a pinch of salt.
- Add eggs and whisk until combined.
- Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup heavy cream, ½ cup kahlua and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Whisk until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into your bread cubes and let sit for 45 mins to an hour or until soaked through.
- When ready, preheat your oven to 350F. Bake for 60-75 minutes or until the custard is set (see notes). Let cool before serving.
Nutritional information are estimates only.
Did you make chocolate kahlua bread pudding? I’d love to hear from you in the comments section below.